JK Splash

Sharpening the E Honcho gyuto

Posted by Unknown on Friday, April 2, 2010

After waiting almost 3 months for my King combo stone to arrive, I was chomping at the bit to finally try my hand at freehand whetstone sharpening. The Kanemasa E Honcho gyuto was originally purchased as a knife I could use to make mistakes on whilst learning to sharpen, being a relatively cheap knife and high carbon which is supposedly easier to sharpen using whetstones. It also comes from the maker with a very obtuse almost single bevel, the back bevel is almost undetectable. Obviously a blank canvas meant for the end user to work into the edge they so desire.

I colored in the edge with permanent marker so I could see what I was doing and went to work with the Beston #500 stone to set a new bevel, then onto the King 1000 until I got a burr happening on each side, then finished off with the 6000 side of the King. I was stoked with the result - it looked great and sliced paper easily and cleanly. The end result was much better than I expected for my first real attempt. I'm looking forward to giving the new sharp edge a run on the next meal prep!

0 comments:

Post a Comment